Saturday, April 21, 2012

evidence of my judgementalness

[Is that even a word? Judgementalness?  Meh.]

I have a customer who has three young boys.  She usually comes in with just one, about 4 or 5 years old, and this woman is of the opinion that you shouldn't have any rules, parameters, discipline, or otherwise tell your child no in any way.  I think that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard and I can't stand her.  Her kid literally crawls on my desk, stands up, picks up anything within reach, and tries to break it.  If he can't break it, he throws it.  If he can break it, he throws it, for that matter.  I tell him no, because that's ridiculous and he can get hurt and *liability!* And so she'll tell him, weakly, "No Austin, we don't do that.  I'm going to take away your dessert tomorrow, no pudding.  Do you want me to take away dessert?  Ok, I'm taking it away."  He doesn't listen at all to what she's saying.  It takes her ten minutes to get him out the door "I'm going to count to five, when I get to five, you need to be walking out the door.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ok, let's go.  I'm going to count to ten."  and on and on.  God she drives me nuts.  I realize mothers need all the support they can get, but some mothers need to learn to get it together.  Her kid is a monster and his behavior could cause some serious problems in school.  

On the one hand, I want to say, "yes, it's her kid and her parenting style, it's not hurting anyone, why do I care?" and just let it go.  And on the other, I want to tell her that she's an idiot and her parenting style is stupid.  Mostly I don't care, but if I had to deal with her for an extended period of time, it would be difficult for me to keep my mouth shut.  The Husband has a cousin who is the same way and it's hard watching her kid tear up my mother in law's house and then watch her walk out the door without cleaning up, saying a word of apology and then coming back three days later and letting it happen again.  Is this an actual parenting style that they decided on or were they not prepared to have a kid so they're lost or are they lazy and don't want to learn techniques?  What's the deal?  How is this acceptable?  And both of these women don't have jobs, so it's not like they have a career to distract them/take up time...I just don't get it, I'm sorry.  They can do what they want, but that doesn't mean I can't think it's stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment