Saturday, April 14, 2012

shots and fish

I got my last shot on Thursday.  Thank god!  And the Husband was nice enough to give it to me since my insurance company seems to think that it's reasonable to charge $50 for the 10 seconds it takes my nurse to shoot me in the ass.  So hopefully the hot flashes and mood swings will go away soon.

In other news, we got a fish tank!  A few weeks ago, we were thinking of getting a large one (29-40 gallons), but have you seen the price of those?  No way.  So we abandoned the thought for awhile, but I really love fish/tanks.  I used to have four, a 10, 36, 50, and 110 and I missed seeing a peaceful environment.  The Husband's never had fish, so he's very excited.  I have them on the counter that combines our kitchen/dining room and it's nice seeing them interested in watching me cut up pineapple (which I've been eating way too much of, my mouth is starting to blister!)

I got a book that I keep on meaning to read but never seem to find the time for, The Power of Positive Parenting by Glenn Latham, has anyone read it?  It seems mostly in line with where I think my philosophy is, so it'll be interesting to study.

I think another hesitation I have about becoming a mother comes from never being around kids.  Ever.  I've never been around them.  I didn't babysit, I was the youngest child, I didn't volunteer in schools (although I was a substitute parapro for a month, if that counts).  So they seem like these weird little buggers that are kind of annoying and don't listen to you.  The Husband is a year away from getting his degree to be a Special Education teacher and I think he'll be a much better parent than me (another fear).  He's had to take months of classes on behavior management and childhood development and whatnot, not to mention the hours of classroom time he has and will log.  So when he talks about problems he deals with, I think to myself "I would never have thought of approaching the kid like that!"  And then I get annoyed, because it seems obvious when he says it, but I really truly would have never thought of saying the things he says, and that's frustrating beyond belief.  I'm still trying to decide if that's a talent or something you can learn.  I'm leaning towards more talent than anything, but most things can be taught to an extent.  We'll see, that's why I'm starting to prepare now!

No comments:

Post a Comment